Brad's Movie Challenge

Starting 01/01/06, Brad is going to watch one movie, everyday, for 365 days. This site will serve to document all rules & exclusions of the "Challenge" as well as keeping track of Brad's progress.

6/13/2006

06/09/06 Just My Luck

Just My Luck (2006), directed by Donald Petrie

watched w/ Leslie; theater (Blue Ridge Cinema, Raleigh, NC)

Wow, how apropos. This title speaks volumes to me, and that's even before I watch the film. What I'm trying to say, in not to subtly sarcastic of a way, is that it's "just my luck" that I get to watch "Just My Luck" today. It's as if I've lost a bet with my love to see this Lindsay Lohan bomb. Yes, I agreed to go with her to the dollar theater to catch this oh-so-lovely teenage romp. I call shenanigans. Let's see, do I even need to go into a detailed plot description here? You have to know that luck plays a big part in the movie, whether it's the characters' receiving of it, or my (the viewer) loss of any ounce of it while sitting in my gum-riddled seat. Lindsay (Ashley here because having a name that rhymes with her real one would be easier for her audibly respond to, like a dog) is a Manhattan socialite on the way up in the glamorous world, and has always had the best luck. Jake is a struggling something-or-other that has the damnedest luck. Chance romantic encoutner at a masquerade ball (huh? you mean they won't know who each other are when they're swapping spit?) switches (like magic) their luck from body to body...as each is destined to live out the other's version of life for awhile. That is, until they figure it out, switch back, then fall in love, switch back for each other's sake...blah blah blah. What else did anyone expect from Lindsay or director Petrie who brought us such masterpieces as "Miss Congeniality" and "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days?" (But he did star in the classic "H.O.T.S." which deserves some praise). However, this romantic crap-shoot wouldn't be half the work of art it is without the house band McFly. Yes, that's right, a British pop-punk band called (hello) McFly who frequents playing bowling alleys and hopes to break it big here in the States (I guess by being in this MTV-twinged junker). And who's idea was it to be clever at the opening credits with all the lucky references like "luck of the Irish," or "pot luck dinner," or "lucky rabbit's foot?" Why don't you "luck off?!"

1 out of 5 stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home