Brad's Movie Challenge

Starting 01/01/06, Brad is going to watch one movie, everyday, for 365 days. This site will serve to document all rules & exclusions of the "Challenge" as well as keeping track of Brad's progress.

2/01/2006

01/31/06 I Vitelloni

I Vitelloni (1953), directed by Federico Fellini

watched w/ Leslie (partially); DVD rental (Blockbuster) @ home

Fellini is a classic filmmaker; this is widely known. Stating nothing new here. However, I hadn't seen much of his work in the past. This year will be an opportunity to see a lot of his stuff. This always seems to be referenced in character/ensemble works in the present, and praised by critics. I agree whole-heartedly here. While simplistic and frank, it shows the lives of 5 childhood friends who grow up & out of their Italian hometown. While struggling to find who they are, they learn about one another. It shows them scars and all, and captured here in beautiful cinematography. Whilst set in a foreign land, and in another era, it still rings true. This is for anyone trying to do the right thing, failing humanly in those attempts, and inevitably getting the hell out of wherever it is you grew up.

4 out of 5 stars

4 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Undead Film Critic said…

    Congratulations on your first month! Now only 11 more to go.

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brad gave this movie 4 stars because it is foreign; there is absolutely no other reason (besides wanting to kiss up to Scorsese) for liking this one. I've said it once, and I'll up that to twice: Fellini, eh. This is a big waste of time; there are much better foreign movies that actually evoke a response from the viewer as opposed to what Fellini usually brings out of me which is complete apathy.

    Therefore I propose that tonight (unless I'm busy) that Brad and I watch my movie Dreams (Kurosawa). This movie, like many from my youth, I purchased a while ago on a whim. It also features Scorsese as Van Gogh and I imagine will be much better than I Vitelloni.

    L

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Undead Film Critic said…

    For someone whose favorite movies are "Gimme An F" & "D.E.B.S.", I find it a little grandiose to be talking smack about Fellini.

    And how is Brad kissing up to Scorsese? Does he know Scorsese? Cause if he does I want an autograph & I have script I wanna show him.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I knew you would say that! I hope that you are only casting such dispersions on Gimme an F because you have already enjoyed it in full.

    L

     

Post a Comment

<< Home