Brad's Movie Challenge

Starting 01/01/06, Brad is going to watch one movie, everyday, for 365 days. This site will serve to document all rules & exclusions of the "Challenge" as well as keeping track of Brad's progress.

6/28/2006

06/18/06 Novo

Novo (2002), directed by Jean-Pierre Limosin

watched w/ Leslie; DVD rental (North American Video) @ Bonnaroo: Camp Clubber Lang (Manchester, TN)

I must begin this entry by making a few comments. First, and most importantly, it is Father's Day and I wanted to wish my Dad the very best on this occasion. He has always been there for me as a mentor, disciplinarian, role-model and friend. I'm sure he thought I was a bit crazy (hey Dad, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree) when I said I was going to take on this Movie Challenge. Secondly, an apology is issued to the rightful winner of the Father's Day poll on the website, my old movie theater friend James with his choice of "Three O'Clock High" as the film to see today. The apology, and this will sound like an excuse, is that I was unable to secure the film in time for my roadtrip to Bonnaroo, and therefore will have to put the selection on hold (although you still won the Goot right James?). Since that 80's comedy title was very hard to find locally, it didn't seem all that difficult to rent this French flick "Novo" and get a little Euro-culture in my U.S. rock festival veins. So, that leads me to the actual film review. Uhhh, it's French, involves sex, lots of people smoking cigarettes and trying to capture an innovative film-style with a barrage of story fragments. Isn't that every French film you say? Perhaps. What the director is going for here is that of an inherent relationship to the human psyche, love/lust and memory. Main character Graham suffers from short-term memory loss, and must clutch to his notebook full of triggers to unlock his identity. What is more, his amnesia is interesting because it does stifle his personal ability to grow and remember...however, it doesn't seem to suppress his lustful nature. It's almost as if Graham must re-identify with himself and humanity by exploring the world around him sexually. Where the great film "Memento" has us wrapped up in an amnesiac's murder mystery, this one has us engrossed with a web of sexual games that mess with the head. The only problem here, is that the film doesn't do the job well enough to keep me entertained or caring. It's kind of weird to be matter of fact. Is he sleeping with his boss, random girlfriends, his wife? Does he recognize his own child or himself in the mirror? Whatever. Is it refreshing to try and rediscover one's sexual being over & over again...sort of a kinky "Groundhog Day?" Maybe, but what should be more at stake here is that people need to have an honest, meaningful and monogamous relationship to truly find themselves. Call me old-fashioned, or at least "not French," but that's the way I like it.

3 out of 5 stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home