Brad's Movie Challenge

Starting 01/01/06, Brad is going to watch one movie, everyday, for 365 days. This site will serve to document all rules & exclusions of the "Challenge" as well as keeping track of Brad's progress.

12/05/2006

10/11/06 Songcatcher

Songcatcher (2000), directed by Maggie Greenwald

watched w/ Leslie; VHS (borrowed from Leslie's Mom); suggested by Leslie's Mom & Jason's Mom

A historic moment of the Challenge has occured...with this film, it marks the 300th movie of the year! Not too shabby, and not too far away from completion. This begins the home stretch for me, and I thought I would take my choice for the day from two supporters who have suggested this to me awhile back...both Leslie's & Jason's moms. Yes, aside from my own wonderful mother, these ladies have been the best "2nd mom's" anyone could ask for, with one soon to become my mother-in-law and the other one has always treated me like another son (with me being friends with hers). So, with that lovely intro, I feel it sets me up for absolutely NO criticism from said friend Jason (or anyone else who has a heart) on why I liked such a sappy story as this one. Set in the rural mountain areas of the Appalachia, the tale tells a human story of love and deep-rooted culture through interactions of outsiders to the tight-knit communities that often make up small rural towns. What carries the film throughout is the idea of a deep-rooted musical culture that is prevalent in areas that have endured suffering and hard-working backgrounds, and it becomes more than being just about the music itself...but what it represents. When she is passed over for promotion at a prestigious university, Dr. Lily Penleric (Janet McTeer) impulsively decides to head to the mountains to see her sister and capture the long lost traditional songs of the mountain people in order to not only document history, but somewhat further her career. At first she is shunned by most, but is soon taken in by some locals and falling romantically for the stoic yet sensitive Tom (Aidan Quinn). With her deep passion for the content she is trying to capture, the townsfolk begin to accept her for what she is and the importance her work can have. Once totally immersed in the culture, and then facing a terrible tragedy, Dr. Lily must choose what is most important of all in keeping with these peoples' sacred traditions. The movie is filled with emotional ups & downs (yeah, call me a softy), but what was most powerful to me was the music. I recommend it on that alone, and wish to seek further research into its rich history. Country roads take me home.

3 out of 5 stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home